Whenever you want to add or upgrade RAM (Random Access Memory) then you’ll definitely want to know how many memory or RAM slots are available on my laptop. Meanwhile, it’s absolutely a daunting task to open a laptop case and check. So, in this guide, you will learn how to check RAM slots in the laptop on Windows 10 operating system without opening it.
How to Check RAM Slots in Laptop on Windows 10
So, in this post, we are going to show your 3 different ways to check RAM slots on a laptop without opening it.
Method 1. View RAM Slots via Task Manager
- Right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager or simply press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring the Taskbar in the easiest way.
- Click More details to expand the Task Manager.
- Click the Performance tab and select Memory on the left-pane menu. Check the number of slots next to the Slot used. If it’s 2 of 2, it means you have 2 RAM slots or if it’s 2 of 4, it means your laptop has 4 RAM slots.
Method 2. Check via Command Prompt
The Windows Management Interface Command (WMIC) is a basic but useful Command Prompt (CMD) tool for testing device details on which you run it. So, you can also find how many RAM slots you have on your laptop. Here how it’s done:
- Open Command Prompt or simply search cmd in the Start menu.
- In Command Prompt window, type wmic memphysical get memorydevices, and press Enter.
- The number shown under MemoryDevices is the exact number of RAM slots on your laptop.
Method 3. Find Number of RAM Slots via CPU-Z App
CPU-Z is the most popular software on your computer and it provides all types of hardware information. You get RAM type, channel #, size, NB frequency, cycle time, and a lot more on a simple interface. The powerful hardware detection tool is based on a kernel-mode software driver that collects information in real-time. This app’s Qusere engine is really fast so you don’t have to wait any longer. And you can use this feature to search the RAM type on your Windows machine without hesitation.
Download CPU-Z from CPUID.com and follow the on-screen instructions to install.
When installed, open the CPU-Z app, and if you’re prompted simply click Yes.
Now, click the SPD tab and then click the down arrow in the Memory Slot Selection section.
This is how you can check RAM slots in a laptop without opening it on Windows 10 operating system. Usually, two RAM slots are available on most laptops. One is used while the other is able to be upgraded. You can replace the original RAM with new higher powerful RAM if you notice that your laptop has not an extra RAM slot and you do want to upgrade RAM. However, it is worth noting that you should be careful to pick the right RAM to prevent compatibility problems for your laptop.