Have you heard anything about Windows 10X? Well, if no then probably this year, Microsoft will release Windows 10X, a revised version of its operating system. In this, we are going to show you how to install Windows 10X on a PC or laptop in Windows 10.
What is Exactly Windows 10X?
Windows 10X was announced by Microsoft in 2019 as an operating system designed for dual-screen computers. The company then reversed course last year, announcing that it will only focus on single-screen products such as laptops. Although the OS has yet to be released, a near-final working build of it has leaked, allowing users to install and run it.
The redesigned taskbar is the most noticeable aspect of Windows 10X’s redesign interface. Icons have been moved to the middle of the taskbar, and the Start menu has been fully revamped. A new notification center with updated shortcuts is also included. The OS also includes a greatly streamlined File Manager and full-screen app launches.
Windows 10X is a pared-down variant of the operating system. This operating system is designed for low-cost Chromebook-style notebooks and tablets, not as an update or substitute for Windows 10. The biggest issue with this version is that it doesn’t yet support any legacy Windows applications, so you’re restricted to Microsoft Store apps and web apps.
Having said that, not anything in this edition seems to be a negative thing. The revised UI seems to be a positive idea to add to the new version of desktop Windows, as long as Microsoft doesn’t insist on adding the awful File Manager replacement with it. And if it looks somewhat identical to Chrome OS and somewhat similar to iPadOS, it’s a new look for Windows.
Windows 10X is scheduled to come pre-installed on smartphones that will be released later this year.
How to Install Windows 10X on a PC
Below are the steps to get Windows 10X on a PC or laptop:
- Restart your computer and press the BIOS key to open BIOS settings.
- In the BIOS settings, simply enable Virtualization Technology.
Image Credit: https://www.isunshare.com/
- Open Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program option under the Programs menu.
- Select Turn Windows features on or off.
- Now, enable all the checkboxes under Hyper-V and click the OK. It will start installing the necessary packages and will ask you to restart the computer once the installation is done.
Hyper-V was added to Microsoft Visual PC in 2008 as a built-in option for building virtual machines. This operating system virtualization tech approach is dependable. It has an easy-to-use interface and intuitive functionality for all consumers.
Not only can Hyper-V virtualize operating systems, but it can also virtualize hard discs, computers, removable media drives, and other machines. It does not, though, work with sound or graphics cards. It is only compatible with 64-bit Windows and is available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education versions.
Download the VHDX File
- Click here to download the file.
- Once downloaded, extract the file.
Create Windows 10X Virtual Machine on Hyper-V
- Open Hyper-V Manager. To open Hyper-V, press the Start menu key and search for Hyper-V.
- Click on the Action tab, select New >Virtual Machine.
- Select Next.
- Type a name for your virtual machine like Windows 10X and click Next.
- Choose Generation 2 and click Next.
- Select an amount of RAM and click Next.
- Choose Default Switch for the Connection and click Next.
- Click on Use an existing virtual hard disk and select Browse.
- Find the Flash.vhdx file that you have downloaded earlier and click Open.
- Finally, click Finish.
Run Windows 10X on Your PC or Laptop
- Right-click on the Windows 10X virtual machine and select Connect.
- Select Start and Hyper-V will start the Windows 10X virtual machine directly from the VHDX file.
- Here, you will be greeted with a Windows 10X logo.
- After this, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Select your region, keyboard layout, and etc.
- Finally, Windows 10X is ready on Windows 10 PC or laptop via Hyper-V.
This is how you can install and use Windows 10X operating system on a PC or laptop. Windows 10X a simple and clean interface as compared to the original Windows 10. To some extend, Windows 10X is similar to Chrome OS.